This recipe combines vegan sausage, a tofu and vegetable scramble, and vegan cheese in a fried tortilla. You’ll need the following; (this makes two burritos, half the quantities for a single burrito)
- Half a small red onion, diced.
- Half a small green pepper, chopped.
- 4 or 5 chopped white mushrooms.
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely diced.
- One quarter of a brick of tofu.
- 4 vegan sausages (I used Linda McCartney sausages).
- 2 large tortillas.
- Vegan cheese.
- Herbs and spices (I used salt, black pepper, smoked paprika, turmeric, and tarragon)
Step One; Prepare the tofu;
Drain the tofu package of liquid, wrap the tofu brick in a couple of sheets of kitchen roll and press between two flat surfaces i.e a chopping board and a plate (add things on top to weigh it down, e.g a heavy saucepan/book/etc).
After it has been pressed for about 30 minutes, cut off one quarter of the brick and mash in a bowl. Add about a quarter of a teaspoon of turmeric and half a teaspoon of smoked paprika.
Season with salt and pepper, I like a more creamy scramble so I add a couple of tablespoons of unsweetened soy milk at this point, then mix well.
Step Two; Fry the garlic, red onion and green pepper in a little oil or vegan butter over a medium heat. Then add the chopped mushrooms and season with a little salt, pepper and tarragon. Continue frying until all the veg is fully cooked.
Step Three; Add the tofu and mix through, you only need to cook this long enough to heat the tofu, so only a couple of minutes or so.
Then cook your vegan sausages ( I just microwaved mine for a couple of minutes.)
Now you can start to heat the tortillas and assemble the burritos, I heated mine in the microwave for 20 seconds.
Step Four; Fill the tortillas;
I put some of the vegan cheese directly onto the tortilla, then layered the scramble on top, then topped with chunks of vegan sausage and finally more cheese.
Step Five; Fold and fry;
Fold the tortillas and then heat a knob of vegan butter in a frying pan. Fry (fold side down) for three or four minutes over a medium heat. Once the underneath is browned slightly flip it over (you may need to press it down after you’ve flipped it so it doesn’t start to unwrap).
Once cooked, I wrapped mine in foil so it kept its shape a little better and to make it easier to eat, it also kept it nice and warm.
- This was the first time I’d fried a burrito, and while it wasn’t going to win any beauty contests, and was a little flatter than I’d like, it wasn’t a bad go for a first try I think.
- The turmeric is just used for colouring, so the tofu looks more like scrambled egg. This recipe will work fine without it, but if you are using it add just enough to colour it a slight yellow.
- Store leftover tofu in an airtight container and cover with water. Change the water daily and it’ll be fine left in the fridge for a few days.
- You can change pretty much everything about this, add different veggies, or use vegan bacon instead of sausage, anything you fancy.
Bye for now 🙂