A simple marinade can really make such a big difference when cooking tofu, this is how I make my version of crispy tofu “bacon” slices, you’ll need the following;
- One tablespoon of soy sauce
- One tablespoon of liquid smoke
- One tablespoon of ketchup
- Two teaspoons of maple syrup
- One tablespoon of smoked paprika
- Two tablespoons of water
- A pinch of salt and black pepper
- 200g/7oz tofu
- Firstly, drain and press the tofu for at least 30 minutes. Slice the tofu as thinly as possible, this will ensure that the tofu crisps up well when you fry it. Place your slices of tofu on a few paper towels, or a tea towel to dry them.
- Now you can mix up your marinade. Combine all the ingredients into a bowl and whisk thoroughly together.
- Take an air tight container and put a little of the marinade in the bottom, just enough so it coats the bottom. Then layer the slices of tofu and pour a little marinade on top, repeat until all the tofu is coated. Marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- When you come to cooking the tofu, heat a little oil in a frying pan over a medium high heat. Fry each slice of tofu for five minutes on each side, or until crispy.
Eat the tofu bacon slices on BLT’s, or chop up the slices so you get bacon bits to sprinkle onto salads or stir into pasta dishes.
Bye for now 🙂