My Sister shared this fun twist on a moussaka recipe with me, and it’s so good I wanted to share it here. The cherry tomatoes cook down into a rich tomato sauce, and the red pepper adds a slight sweetness. Cooking the aubergine like this cooks out the natural bitterness and brings out its sweetness very well. The vegetables become slightly charred and blackened on the edges, which adds a lovely smoky flavour to the final dish. This is what I used;
- One aubergine, chopped
- 300g cherry tomatoes, halved
- One red pepper, chopped
- 180g pasta, I used rigatoni
- Two tablespoons of tomato puree
- 2ooml red wine (optional)
- 50g textured vegetable protein, along with 150ml freshly boiled water
- Dried herbs, I used two teaspoons of the following; basil, oregano, parsley. One teaspoon of rosemary
- One teaspoon of garlic powder
- Salt and black pepper to taste
Firstly start by preheating your oven to 230ºC/450ºF and lining a baking tray with greaseproof paper. After preparing the vegetables, place them on the tray and sprinkle over the herbs, garlic, salt and pepper. Pour the wine over the vegetables (if using), and drizzle a tablespoon of oil over everything and place into the oven.
After around ten minutes add the tomato puree and mix well. You can also start cooking the pasta as per the instructions on the pack. The mince will only need a couple of minutes to absorb the boiled water, so that can be done just before everything else is cooked.
Once everything is fully cooked, fold the roasted vegetables along with the mince through the pasta. This would be lovely with a little vegan cheese scattered over the top, I didn’t have any to hand.
Bye for now 🙂