I’ve not tried soy cream before and I was very impressed by how close to dairy cream it is, I thought it would be perfect in a carbonara. This recipe combines soy cream, garlic, mushrooms and tofu “bacon” to make a simple yet tasty pasta dish. The following made enough for two servings;
- 140g/5oz dried wholewheat penne
- 150g/5oz thinly sliced mushrooms
- Two cloves of garlic, minced
- 50ml/1.5fl.oz soy cream
- 100ml/3 fl.oz non dairy milk
- 50g/2oz vegan cream cheese
- One teaspoon of both dried tarragon and parsley
- One tablespoon of nutritional yeast (optional)
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Tofu bacon (check out how to make it here)
Heat a teaspoon of vegan margarine in a frying pan over a medium heat, add in the garlic and fry for a couple of minutes. Next add in the mushrooms and fry for about five minutes, or until they start to release liquid.
Now you can stir in the cream cheese, non dairy milk, cream and herbs. Cook the pasta as per the instructions on the packet and add it to the sauce, along with the nutritional yeast. Season the sauce with black pepper and salt if needed, then you’re ready to serve. I only added a little of the tofu bacon on the top but you can use more if you prefer.
Bye for now 🙂