This recipe combines mushrooms, peppers and tofu bacon pieces in a rich, creamy tomato sauce. If you don’t want to use vegan cheese this will work just as well without it, just skip the baking it in the oven part.
For two to three servings you’ll need the following;
- One pepper, diced
- 150g/5oz mushrooms, sliced
- Two large cloves of garlic, minced
- One 400g/14oz tin of chopped tomatoes
- Two tablespoons of tomato puree
- 75ml/2.5fl.oz soy single cream
- 150g/5oz dried pasta
- 100g/3.5oz tofu, marinated and fried (check out how to make it here)
- Dried herbs, I used one teaspoon each of basil, oregano, parsley and tarragon
Heat a teaspoon of oil in a pan over a medium heat, fry the garlic for two minutes. Next add the mushrooms and peppers and continue cooking for another five or so minutes. Then add the tomato puree and cook for another couple of minutes, cooking the tomato puree like this will cook out any natural bitterness and gives the resulting sauce a better flavour.
Add in the chopped tomatoes and soy cream and continue cooking for another five or ten minutes, until the sauce begins to thicken.
At this point you can cook the pasta and add it to the sauce, along with the tofu bacon pieces. If you’re not using vegan cheese you can serve at this point. If you are using it, bake the pasta in an oven proof dish at 200°C/400°F for 20 minutes.
Remove from the oven and leave to stand for a couple of minutes before serving. I really enjoy baked pasta dishes, so it’s great to still be able to have them as a vegan.
Bye for now 🙂