This is a great recipe for sharing, for serving as a starter or to have as a snack with wine. I served the dip with toasted wholewheat pitta bread. Toasting pitta bread improves its structural integrity, which facilitates a more rewarding dipping experience for the user. For six servings you’ll need the following;
- 100g/3.5oz spinach, washed, wilted and roughly chopped
- 390g/13.5oz tin of artichoke hearts, roughly chopped
- 350ml unsweetened nondairy milk
- Three spring onions, sliced
- Three cloves of garlic, minced
- Two tablespoons of plain flour
- Two tablespoons of oil
- 100ml/3.5fl.oz nondairy cream
- 30g/1oz vegan parmesan cheese (I used Violife’s Prosociano, from Holland & Barrett)
- 60g/2oz vegan cream cheese (I used Sheese, again from Holland & Barrett)
- Half a teaspoon of each; tarragon, parsley, oregano and basil
- Salt and black pepper to taste
Start by frying the garlic and spring onions in a frying pan over a medium heat, they’ll only need a couple of minutes, then set aside.
Now work on the sauce, heat two tablespoons of oil in a pan and sprinkle over the flour. Whisk for about two minutes before adding the nondairy milk, a little at a time, until it’s all incorporated. Next add the cream, cream cheese, cheese and mix well. Then add everything else and stir until the mixture thickens.
Bake for fifteen minutes at 200ºC/400ºF, leave it to stand for a minute before serving with toasted bread, crackers or vegetable sticks. If you don’t like artichoke swap them for asparagus, leek or mushrooms.
Bye for now 🙂