One reason that stopped me from being vegan sooner was the apprehension that I would miss different foods. Thankfully, that hasn’t been the case as I’ve managed to make vegan versions of most things. This is my version of a vegan halloumi cheese. The texture isn’t quite the same as it doesn’t squeak, but it does have a good bite to it.
Yield; Two servings Cook time; 15 minutes (approx)
- Three tablespoons of nondairy milk
- Two tablespoons of nutritional yeast
- One quarter of a teaspoon of dried mint
- Half a teaspoon of salt
- 200g/7oz tofu, drained, pressed and patted dry
- Whisk together everything, bar the tofu, in a dish until well combined.
- Drain and press the tofu. The longer you press it the more liquid will be removed, giving the tofu a better texture once cooked.
- Slice the tofu into four thick slices and pour over the marinade. Leave in the fridge for a couple of hours or overnight.
- Pan fry over a medium high heat in a little oil for about seven minutes on each side.
The tofu becomes crisp on the outside and creamy but dense on the inside. I served this with a side salad, but it would be great in a sandwich with grilled veggies.
Bye for now 🙂