I used to really like Heinz tomato soup, and I thought I’d miss it since changing to a vegan lifestyle, but it’s pretty easy to make your own. I used the following;
Yield; Four servings Cook time; 30 minutes (approx)
- One onion, diced
- Two sticks of celery, diced
- Three cloves of garlic, minced
- Two 400g/14oz tins of good quality chopped tomatoes, or use fresh if you prefer
- 500ml vegetable stock
- 150ml nondairy cream
- Two tablespoons of tomato puree
- One teaspoon of both basil and oregano
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a pan over a medium heat. Cook the garlic for a minute before adding in the onion and celery.
- After about five minutes add the tomato puree and cook for two minutes before adding in the tomatoes, stock, herbs and season with salt and pepper (personally I felt there was enough salt in the stock, so I didn’t add any). Increase the heat to a simmer and cook covered for twenty minutes.
- Once everything is cooked, blend well with an immersion blender before stirring in the cream.
I served mince with a grilled cheese sandwich. I’ve found that Violife works well for this because it melts really nicely.
Bye for now 🙂