This is a pretty simple tomato and potato bake recipe. It’s also a welcome change for me to have non liquid based food, I seem to have developed an addiction to making soups of late. But hey, there are worse things I could be addicted to.
Yield; Three servings Cook time; One hour
- Three medium potatoes, washed, peeled and sliced
- One 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- Three cloves of garlic, minced
- Two tablespoons of tomato puree
- Herbs; one teaspoon of basil, oregano and parsley
- ½ a teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Firstly, preheat your oven to 200ºC.
- Next, heat a teaspoon of oil in a pan over a medium heat, cook the garlic for a minute before adding in the tomato puree. Cook the puree for two minutes and then add the chopped tomatoes. After another fifteen minutes the sauce should have thickened.
- Blanch the potato slices in boiling water for five minutes. Once they’ve been blanched, you can start assembling the bakes.
- Spoon enough sauce into each oven proof dish so that the bottom is covered. Layer slices of potato and sauce until the dishes are filled. Brush a little oil on top of the last potato layer and sprinkle with salt, this will crisp up the top layer.
- Bake for 40 minutes, leave to stand for a couple of minutes before serving.
You could easily add other vegetables to this dish, or include mock meats, I just wanted to keep it simple so I didn’t.
Bye for now 🙂