They key to getting tofu to taste like egg is using black salt (kala namak). It naturally contains sulphur, and so has a savoury egg flavour to it. I bought mine from amazon.co.uk for about £1.30.
Yield; One serving Cook time; 10 minutes (approx)
- One teaspoon of vegan margarine (I use Vitalite)
- 100g(3.5oz) of firm tofu, patted dry and crumbled
- A pinch of turmeric (just enough to achieve the right colour)
- A quarter of a teaspoon of smoked paprika
- Three tablespoons of unsweetened soy milk
- Half a teaspoon of dried chives
- 25g(1oz) vegan cheese, grated
- Black salt and black pepper to taste
- Heat the margarine in a small saucepan over a medium to low heat. Add the tofu, soy milk, paprika, turmeric and chives and mix until well combined.
- Allow everything to heat through for a couple of minutes before adding the vegan cheese. Cover with a lid and leave for five minutes for the cheese to melt.
- Remove the lid and give everything a good stir. Once the cheese has melted and the tofu is looking creamy, add the black salt and black pepper and serve.
Note; The process of cooking will kill the sulphur in the black salt over time, adding it at the end will ensure you retain the egg flavour.
I served mine with fried chestnut mushrooms, a fried tomato and toast. This tofu scramble mimics scrambled eggs really well. The texture feels similar to eggs, the turmeric added a familiar colour, and the black salt gave it a lovely savoury egg flavour.
Bye for now 🙂