I used Sainsbury’s free from Greek style for the “feta” element of this dish. So many new varieties of vegan cheese have been launched lately, there’s so much to choose from. In the comparatively small time I have been vegan, I’ve definitely noticed much more variety.
Yield; Three servings Cook time; 40 mins (approx)
- 250g/9oz frozen peas
- 150g/5oz risotto rice
- 750ml hot vegetable stock (I use vegetable Oxo)
- Two cloves of garlic, minced
- 75g/2.5oz crumbled “feta”
- One brown onion, minced
- Two tablespoons of vegan margarine (I used Vitalite)
- Heat the vegan margarine in a pan over a medium heat. Add the garlic, fry for one minute before adding the onion.
- Cook the onion and garlic for five minutes before adding the rice. Heat the rice through, stirring constantly. After a couple of minutes you should notice that the edges of the grains are becoming translucent, it’s time to add the stock.
- Stir through a ladle full of stock, add more stock once the stock you previously added has been absorbed.
- After around 25 minutes the rice should be cooked. At this point you can add stir through the “feta” and peas. They will only need about five minutes to heat through.
- Once the rice is cooked, the feta is melted and the peas are heated through, it’s ready. Set aside for two minutes before serving, this will allow the risotto to thicken.
The Sainsbury’s free from Greek style really worked well, it added a lovely creaminess to the final dish.
Bye for now 🙂