This tasty couscous salad would be a perfect addition to any barbecue or picnic, and can be eaten hot or cold. I personally like eating it cold, especially when the weather is warm and eating hot food feels like a crime.
Yield; four to six servings Cook time; 30 mins
- Two small courgettes(zucchini), chopped
- One aubergine(eggplant), chopped
- One red pepper, cut into chunks
- 250g/9oz chestnut(cremini) mushrooms, chopped
- One red onion, sliced
- 200g/7oz couscous
- 200ml hot vegetable stock
- One 400g/14oz tin of chopped tomatoes
- Dried herbs; One teaspoon of each; tarragon, basil and oregano
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- In a frying pan over a medium heat, melt a teaspoon of vegan margarine. Then add the onion and fry for about five minutes before adding the rest of the vegetables.
- Sprinkle a little salt over the vegetables, add the tomatoes and herbs before covering with a lid. Give them about twenty minutes to cook.
- While the vegetables are cooking prepare the couscous. Add the couscous to a shallow dish and pour over the hot stock. After five minutes, use a fork to fluff the couscous and separate the grains.
- Once the vegetables are cooked, mix through the couscous. Serve warm, or refrigerate for an hour and serve cold.
Bye for now 🙂